14 Popular Places of Interest in Salzburg Required to Visit – The provincial capital of the same name and the gateway to Austria from the northwest, Salzburg is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, which is admired just like its architecture because of its magnificent location.
It also enjoys a special fame in the music world as the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a fame reflected in attractions such as the museum in his home birth and various festivals featuring his music.
This beautiful city occupies the two banks of the Salzach River, which emerges from the Salzburg Alps to the stretch of lowlands dominated by Untersberg’s 1,853 meters from which the city’s landscape, with its towers and dome, is an unforgettable beauty.
The romantic Old Town is a narrow medieval streets area and flanked pages just begging to be explored, as well as the largest residential area between Neutor and Neugebäude districts.
Not far from Salzburg, lies the world’s largest ice cave system (Eisriesenwelt), a fascinating attraction for adventure seekers.
14 Popular Places of Interest in Salzburg Required to Visit
1). Mozart’s Birthplace
Number 9 Getreidegasse in Salzburg is the home where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born on January 27, 1756 (he died on December 5, 1791, in Vienna).
Today, Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus) is made up of a number of interesting features, including the room that once housed the Mozart family. Now an interesting museum, many interesting mementos are on display, including Mozart’s young frog, portraits, and original values.
On the second floor is an exhibition called Mozart in the Theater with a number of illuminating miniatures that illustrate much of his accomplishments.
Address: Getreidegasse 9, 5020 Salzburg
In the heart of Salzburg’s Old City (Altstadt) on the left bank of Salzach is Residenzplatz, one of the largest squares in the city and the best place to start exploring the many sights of this beautiful city has to offer.
The central point of the Residenzplatz is the stunning Residenzbrunnen, a masterpiece of marble made by an Italian sculptor in 1661 and the largest and best Baroque fountain on this side of the Alps.
Standing 15 feet tall with a beautiful brave horse drawing, along with an Atlas god-supporting antenna, also impresses with the dolphins and, spawns the entire screen, a Triton with shells.
From here it is easy to spend time relaxing in the multi-story cafe and boutique shop along the side streets, or jump to the right and visit the main sights such as Salzburg Cathedral and the Residenz, the former Prince Mayor’s palace.
The square is also used for concerts and celebrations such as the New Year’s Eve party and the excellent Christmas Market.
Address: Residenzplatz, 5020 Salzburg
3). The Salzburg Residenz and the Residenzgalerie
Dominating the western side of Salzburg Residenzplatz is Residenz, the former palace of the prince’s most powerful prince in the city. Built between 1596 and 1619, this large palace is located in 1710.
The tour of the property is located in the spectacular Country Apartments, which are luxuriously decorated in Late Baroque and Early Neo-Classical. style and with many beautiful frescoes and ceilings, rich plastering ornaments and a nice fireplace.
Special notes are the Knights Hall (Rittersaal), Conference Hall (Konferenzsaal), and the beautiful Audience Hall (Audienzsaal) containing Flemish tapestries from the 1600s and fine Parisian furnishings.
Other highlights include the White Hall (Weisse Saal) with its extraordinary stucco decoration with the Louis XVI style from 1776, the Function Room (Gesellschaftszimmer) with 18th-century silk carpets, and Imperial Hall (Kaisersaal) with portraits of Holy Roman Emperors.
And the Kings of the Habsburg dynasty, also important is the Residenzgalerie, an art gallery founded in 1923 which includes works painted by Rembrandt, Rubens, and Brueghel.
Address: Residenzplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg
4). Hohensalzburg Castle
Salzburg is dominated by the beautiful castle of Hohensalzburg, at the peak of southeast Mönchsberg. A pleasant 20-minute walk from the center of the Old Town or via cable car from Festungsgasse, the original palace was built in 1077, and most of what is seen today date back to the early 1500s.
The approach to the castle passes through some impressive arched defense gates beneath the 17th Century Fire Fortress to Reisszug, a unique hoist dating from 1504 that was once used to transport supplies, and through the Horse Gate to the Haupthof (outer ward) with the ancient limestone and a shelter from 1539.
Other points of interest include the courtyard with St. John’s Church. John. Little George (Georgskirche) in 1502 and the famous Salzburg Bull (Salzburger Stier), organs of 1502 still play every day and seem to echo.
Carillon in Neugebäude. Also worth noting is the luxurious Luxury Princes Apartments with their luxurious Gothic decor and well-painted wainscoting, the Golden Room (Goldene Stube) with its marble doors, and Golden Hall with its golden tops on the blue ceilings and red marble columns.
Also worth seeing is the Fortress Museum with weapons and torture equipment, and the Rainer Regiment Museum containing artifacts from the old Salzburg house regiment.
Address: Mönchsberg 34, 5020 Salzburg
5). Salzburg Cathedral
A prominent building thanks to the 79-meter-tall twin towers, Salzburg Cathedral (Salzburger Dom) was completed in 1657 and is famous for its Italian style and its role as a Mozart christening location.
The front of the building overlooks Domplatz, has four colossal marble statues, the outermost portion of St. Rupert and Virgil, the patron saints in the province, while the ones depicting Peter and Paul.
Key features include three large bronze doors with symbols Faith, Love, and Hope; the high altar with its revival painted in 1628; and incredible wall paintings in the dome.
The dome and burial artifacts in the crypt are also worth seeing, as is the Cathedral Museum with a collection of liturgical objects and art objects from the Archdiocese of Salzburg, including the 8th century Carolingian Cross in St. Petersburg. Petersburg. Rupert, sculpture and gothic painting. And items from Cathedral Treasury.
Address: Domplatz 1a, 5020 Salzburg
6). St. Peter’s Abbey
On the western side of Kapitelplatz in Salzburg, St. Benedictine Monastery Peter (Erzabtei St. Peter) was founded by St. Rupert in 690 AD and served as the Archbishop’s residence until 1110.
While the buildings now date from the 17th and 18th centuries, they remain an impressive evidence of architectural skills, as can be seen in the high-rise building-shaped towers, which are the first of its kind in Europe.
Highlights include St. Peter’s Churchyard (Friedhof St. Peter), an impressive burial ground surrounded on three sides by arcades and a family tomb from the 17th century.
To the south, the back faces the stone surface of Mönchsberg where you will find the Early Christian catacombs and St. Chapel. Maximus, carved from solid rock.
A passage leads from the courtyard of the church to the outer courtyard decorated by St. Peter’s Fountain (Petrusbrunnen) built in 1673, as well as Haydn’s reminder of the life and work of Johann Michael Haydn, the brother of renowned composer Joseph Haydn.
Another important landmark in Salzburg is Nonnberg Abbey, founded in 714 AD.
Address: Sankt-Peter-Bezirk 1, 5020 Salzburg
Opposite to Residenz Salzburg is the New Building (Neugebäude), which was founded in 1602 as a great archbishop’s mansion and enlarged in 1670. Now residing in the provincial government office and the Salzburg Museum, this building is famous for its carillon (Glockenspiel).
Built in 1702, contains 35 bells that play songs from Mozart’s vast repertoire three times per day (7am, 11pm, and 6pm, guided tours are available).
The highlight of the experience is to hear the famous Bull Salzburg, the organ at the nearby Hohensalzburg palace, responding to a carillon with a chorale.
Also, be sure to visit St. The beautiful 18th-century Michael (Michaelskirche) on the north side of Residenzplatz at the corner of Mozartplatz with the Mozart Monument from 1842.
8). St. Peter’s Church
One of the oldest and most interesting churches in Salzburg, St. Peter (Stiftskirche St. Peter) was completed in 1143, changed in 1625, and decorated in the Rococo style between 1757 and 1783 when his typical helmet tower was added.
Inside the terrace under the tower is the Roman west door dating from 1240, while in the interior, the Roman basilica plan can still be detected, along with the monument including the stone tomb printed on St. John’s. Rupert with a tombstone from 1444.
Another famous monument is dedicated to Mozart’s brother Marianne (Nannerl), who died in 1829, and to JM Haydn, Joseph’s brother.
Another highlight is the altarpieces painted on 16 marble altars and the Lady Chapel (Marienkapelle) from 1319, containing the Virgin stone statue, along with the early Gothic wall paintings and later frescoes from 1755.
Address: Postfach 113, A-5010 Salzburg
9). Salzburg Festival Festival
Salzburg has long been famous for its music festival, a fact that has been manifested in the form of a number of historic theaters and concert halls.
Collectively known as the Theaters Festival (Festspielhäuser), the building consists of a large Festspielhaus and smaller Haus für Mozart, among them a veranda with fine frescoes, and the Hall of Karl Böhm, which is used for exhibitions and receptions as well as superb sports. frescos-wall paintings.
This is where the famous Salzburg Festival has been held since 1925, a five-week summer event featuring the finest European music and drama. Other famous Salzburg festivals include Mozart Week.
A week-long winter event that focuses on the work of a great Austrian composer, and Salzburg Cultural Days, an annual two-week festival in October that includes symphony concerts and space and opera performances.
For an entirely different theatrical experience, see Salzburg Marionette Theater, founded in 1913 and one of Europe’s oldest doll theaters.
Address: Hofstallgasse 1, A-5010 Salzburg
10). The Franciscan Church
To the north of St. Peter’s Church stood the Franciscan Church (Franziskanerkirche), the parish church of the city until 1635. Its exterior features a high roof choir and tower on the south side of 1498, while inside, the darkness of the 13th-century Romantic Nave contrasted with the choir Bright 15th-century Gothic.
In front of a Baroque chapel ring dating from 1606 stands, a high altar was added in 1709 and was famous in the 15th century carved by Madonna.
In the middle chapel behind the altar is a winged marble altar from 1561 from the old cathedral. Across from the church is a Franciscan monk who still operates.
Address: Franziskanergasse 5, 5020 Salzburg
11). Salzburg’s Old Town
From the Universitätsplatz, a number of beautiful parts known as Durchhäuser weaved north toward Getreidegasse, a busy pedestrian area lined with old merchant houses dating from the 15th to the 18th century.
Highlights of the walking tour of the Old Town area are the many battleships and signboards, the beautiful old courtyards, and the many galleries, boutiques, workshops, and cafes.
At the eastern end of Getreidegasse lies Kranzlmarkt with the old Town Hall (Rathaus) surrounded by older medieval houses, some as tall as five floors.
The Old Market (Alter Markt) stands in the 13th-century Court Pharmacy (Hofapotheke), while in the center of the square is Fountain St. The 17th Florian with an octagonal basin and a spiral grille older than 1583.
The other The city’s view is Judengasse with its narrow and twisting path, and Chiemseehof, built in 1305 and the residence of Bishop Prince Chiemsee until 1806; the flanked yard is decorated with a mantle of weapons.
12). Church and Cemetery St. Sebastian
The more modern spotlight of the Salzburg district on the right bank of Salzach is St. Sebastian (Sebastianskirche).
Built-in 1512 and completely renovated in the Rococo style in 1753, it has a staircase leading to St. Joseph’s Cemetery. Sebastian (Friedhof), founded in 1595.
In the center of the cemetery stands the Chapel of St. Gabriel (Gabrielskapelle), with ornate ceramic ornaments, finished in 1603 as a tomb for Archbishop Wolf Dietrich.
On the road to the chapel, the grave of Mozart’s father, Leopold, and his widow, Konstanze, while to the west of the church is a passage leading to Loreto (Loretokloster) and Paris-Lodron-Strasse.
Address: Linzer Gasse 41, 5020 Salzburg
13). Schloss Mirabell and Gardens
In the beautiful Salzburg Mirabellplatz, Schloss Mirabell was renovated Baroque style between 1721-27 before being restored in the simpler Neoclassical style in the period after the fire in 1818.
Highlights of the visit include the spectacular Supreme Staircase, built in the 18th century, with sculptures by Georg Raphael Donner and his students.
Another interesting feature is the Marble Hall (still used for concerts and functions) and the Schloss Mirabell Baroque Museum is located in Gardener’s Building (Gärtnergebäude), part of the Orangery estate, and showcased European art in the 17th and 18th centuries.
To the south of Schloss Mirabell stretches the Mirabellgarten, an excellent example of Baroque landscape design laid out in 1690 with a variety of terraces, marble statues, and fountains.
The former aviary of the 18th century is now used for exhibitions, and in the southwest corner of the gardens stands a small open-air theater. Another important villa of this period is the Hellbrunn Palace (Schloss Hellbrunn), built in 1619 and popular in its beautiful garden.
Address: Mirabellplatz 4, 5020 Salzburg
14). Hallein and the Celtic Museum
The old town of Hallein on the Salzach River, a ten-minute drive from the center of Salzburg, is a good destination thanks to the quaint little streets, gates, and statues, and historic houses built in the typical Salzach style.
Famous as the birthplace of organist Franz Xaver Gruber, composer Silent Night, that’s where you’ll find the Celtic Museum (Keltenmuseum Hallein).
In the former orphanage of the 17th century, this reconstructed Celtic farm includes buildings and equipment used by Celt settlers, as well as an ancient burial chamber.
Other highlights include the display of findings from the Hallstatt and La Tène period (Iron Age) from 800-15 BC, as well as exhibits depicting the local customs and history of city guilds.
Address: Pflegerplatz 5, 5400 Hallein